Thursday, December 6, 2007

Secret???

I just wanted to pose the question.... Why do we not ever hear teaching on the following verse??

He(Jesus) said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16:15-18

I know the 1st part is talked about all the time....why not the part starting with "And these signs...." Any comments??? Please comment....

3 comments:

Anne said...

Fear. We are comfortable with God and His power as long as He stays in our little box. The reality is, our box is a total joke! And when you think about it, I don't want a "God-In-The-Box". My God is maker of Heaven and Earth, giver of life!

We don't talk about that verse because it pushes the boundaries of our "Comfortable God". We are afraid of much...afraid of the Power, afraid of what others will think and say about us...afraid.

How do we conquer that fear? We lay it at the feet of Jesus, yes? Through prayer and study, we earnestly seek God and His power.

I didn't mean to write so much. Maybe I am totally off base, but I do think fear plays a big factor in our silence on that particular verse.

Anne said...

Okay, one more thought and then I will hush! :)

The great debate between that which is scriptural and that which is traditional rears it's ugly head again. For so long we have heard all of the 'traditional' teachings of our faith, and we have neglected to study for ourselves what is truth in scripture. Does that make sense? What I am trying to say is that we learn what we hear taught by others and many times we believe those things to be scriptural and factual. When we never seek out God's truth for ourselves, we will always be putting God in a box...a box with sides based upon someone else's faith, and not our own.

Am I making one bit of sense here?

Michelle said...

I agree on both counts! Will respond more on it tomorrow!

Thanks for you thoughts!

Michelle